Friday, I had the privilege of speaking on Capitol Hill for Congressional staffers, Government Relations, and Lobbyists on, "Effective strategies, and thoughtful ways to avoid unwanted excess food, sweets and drinks during the Holiday seasons."
Here’s a few strategies from my talk:
- HALT - Don’t get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired (you will grab and eat anything)
- Eat before the party. Include healthy fats and protein to sustain you.
- Hydrate. Drink plenty of clean filtered water throughout the day between meals.
- Make or bring a decadent delicious dessert that is also healthful and energizing. (see below)
- Recognize that the purpose of the party is to socialize and connect. Food and alcohol are secondary and optional.
- Cultivate mindfulness in each bite. Is this nourishing and loving to your body or will this create further dis-ease? Your body will let you know. Breathe deeply and eat slowly to give your body the message that it is safe to rest and digest and repair.
- Most of all enjoy the holidays!
Here's my dessert recipe that the Executive Chef prepared for us to practice mindful eating:
Chocolate Pudding Dip
- 3 avocados
- 6 T Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Puree first four ingredients in food processor until smooth. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy! Garnish with mint and serve as a dip with organic strawberries and/or pineapple with toothpicks for dipping.
- dash sea salt
Includes 5 grams of Protein, 13 grams of fiber and essential fats and omega's.
Wishing you Peace & Pure Joy throughout the Holidays & the New Year!
With Love & Gratitude,
About Lisa Jackson, RN, CHC, RYT, FDN-P, AFMC
Lisa is a retired Registered Nurse, yoga teacher, author, inspirational speaker, and a Certified Functional Medicine Coach with a mission to inspire others to feel and look their best at any age.
Lisa's book Savvy Secrets: Eat, Think and Thrive outlines her seven-step system towards optimal health that is fun and transformational.
Lisa is founder of Carpe Diem Wellness and the Wellness Inspired Network. When she is not coaching, speaking, or writing, you can find her practicing yoga and joyfully sharing Carpe Diem Dance.